Holistic Medicine Secrets: Stomach Acid - Discover Why Heartburn Drugs May Actually Make It Worse
Ironically, many people take drugs such as Prevacid and Prilosec for reducing heartburn, but in reality, stomach acid declines as we age.
People think they have heartburn, because their stomach acid backs up in the esophagus due to poor digestion caused by a lack of stomach acid.
Put another way, stomach acid is required for absorption. A lack of stomach acid can cause poor digestion which can cause the acid to move up the esophagus. This displacement of stomach acid causes people to think they have too. But in reality, we don't have enough!
How to improve your digestion?
First, stop taking acid blocking medications such as Prilosec and Prevacid. These medications are making your impaired digestion - due to a lack of stomach acid - even worse.
Second, start taking betaine hydrochloride - an acid that can support digestion when taken with meals.
A betaine hydrochloride supplement can be purchased at health food stores.
In order to ensure proper dosage of betaine hydrochloride, you could start out with a dose as low as 150 milligrams and gradually increase this amount up to 600 milligrams. If warmth or burning is experienced in the upper abdomen, you should return to the previous lower dose.
In my practice, I have seen patients clear their perceived heartburn problems by taking betaine hydrochloride, and stopping their intake of acid blocking drugs.
This may seem paradoxical but the key is to do everything possible to improve your digestive function, and adding stomach acid (betaine hydrochloride) is a very good place to start.
It's also a good idea to support digestion by taking digestive enzymes in conjunction with the betaine hydrochloride. Digestive enzymes, such as pancreatic enzymes or vegetable enzymes should be taken with meals.
In addition to perceived heartburn, poor digestion causes our bodies to digest protein (and other nutrients) less efficiently, yet amino acids from protein are critical components of good health.
Protein deficiency can cause muscle mass to decrease. Also, our brain needs protein because the neurotransmitters in our brain are made out of the amino acids from protein. Both the function of muscle building and the manufacturing of neurotransmitters in the brain rely on the amino acids found in protein.
A long term affect of poor digestion is the tendency to develop food intolerances ?when our body reacts to certain foods by creating antibodies against them. Food intolerances can lead to many symptoms such as sluggishness, fatigue, migraines, gastrointestinal problems especially diarrhea, inflammation & swelling.
And now I would like to offer you free access to my weekly Holistic Medicine Newsletter, Healthy Perspectives, where you can receive additional information on important health topics. You can sign up by going to Holistic Medicine Dr. Lisa Hosbein, MD, FACOG - The Wellness Doctor at Holistic Medicine
Hot Topics In Holistic Remedies
This is how the health profe...
Alternative medicines are almost 500 in numbe...
Fiber is extremely good at relieving constipation - the main cause of hemorrhoids - and fiber is well renown for preventing them and alleviating their ...
However, if you want to fully take care of your body, you need to take care of the inside as well as you do the outside.
- Homoeopathy For Bad Breath
- Water The Breath Of Life
- Herbs Versus Statin Drugs
- 10 Tips to Tackle Holiday Stress and Sleep Well
- Getting Started with BodyTalk: New York Takes the Lead
- How Can Aromatherapy Benefit Your Holistic Life?
- Why You Should Treat Your Tennis Elbow Synergistically!
- Osteoporosis natural treatments that work
- Getting to Grips with Acupuncture
- Balance Your Chakra By Giving More
- Warm Wishes Of Thoughts In A Bouquet Or Two
- Yeast Infection: Relief Using A Natural Antibiotic
- The Pain Attraction - Magnetic Therapy
- Training in BodyTalk, New York City Resident? Here's What to Look Forward To!
- What Do Herbal Extracts Do For Your Hair
- Skin Tonic - Get Natural Glow with Homemade Skin Tonics
- What Is Natural Health Medicine?
- Hallucination - Causes of Hallucination
- Massage: New York Citys Best Survival Tactic
- Health News Alternative Medicine Holistic Therapies
- Addiction Treatments
- Bad Breath
- Bowel Cancer
- Color Blindness
- Cosmetics Advice
- Ectopic Pregnancy
- Elliptical Trainers
- Energy Therapy
- Environmental Health
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Hair Care
- Health Supplements
- Heart Attack
- Ingrown Toenail
- Kidney Stone
- Liver Cancer
- Memory Loss
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Music therapy
- Natural Hygiene
- Perthes Disease
- Pre Menstrual Syndrome
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Skin Care
- Smelly Feet
- Stress Management
- Viral Infections
- Alternative A-Z | Beauty A-Z | Disease & Conditions A-Z | Fitness A-Z | Health A-Z | Home Life A-Z | Medicine A-Z | Remedies A-Z | Disease Therapy A-Z
- Health Topics | Articles | Encyclopedia | Glossaries | Directories | Archives | Rss Channel | Blog | China Health Online | 365 Health Online | InfoDaily
- ADHD Remedies
- Alternative Medicine
- Ayurvedic Medicine
- Chinese Medicine
- Complementary Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Flower Remedies
- Folk Medicine
- Healing Remedies
- Healthy Recipes
- Herbal Medicines
- Herbal Remedies
- Herbs Medicine
- Holistic Remedies
- Home Remedies
- Integrated Medicine
- Natural Remedies
- Naturopathic Medicine
- Tibetan Medicine
- Western Medicine